For courses in undergraduate Nursing Management and Leadership.
Effective Leadership and Management in Nursing provides students with the necessary skills to make sound management decisions in a dynamic health care environment. Used worldwide, this award-winning book is now offered in an updated, revised edition to reflect the many changes in health care and nursing. Targeted to both practicing nurses and those in management, this book provides the tools for using the skills presented in each chapter, case studies with a managers checklist, critical thinking questions, key terms, an easy-to-read format, and a link to online instruction for students and faculty. In the ever-changing health care environment, nurses have never needed this information more.
I. UNDERSTANDING NURSING MANAGEMENT AND ORGANIZATION.
1. Introduction to Nursing Management.
2. How Organizations Are Designed.
3. How Nursing Care Is Delivered.
4. Leading and Managing.
5. Understanding Legal and Ethical Issues.
6. Handling Power and Politics.
II. KEY SKILLS IN NURSING MANAGEMENT.
7. Thinking Critically, Making Decisions, Solving Problems.
8. Communicating Effectively.
9. Handling Conflict.
10. Delegating Successfully.
11. Building and Managing Teams.
12. Budgeting and Managing Resources.
13. Managing and Improving Quality.
14. Using Healthcare Technology Systems.
15. Managing Stress and Time.
16. Initiating and Managing Change.
III. MANAGING HUMAN RESOURCES.
17. Handling Staffing and Scheduling.
18. Recruiting and Selecting Staff.
19. Motivating and Developing Staff.
20. Evaluating Staff Performance.
21. Coaching, Disciplining, and Terminating Staff.
22. Reducing Turnover, Retaining Staff.
23. Managing Absenteeism and Other Staff Problems.
24. Collective Bargaining.