The Second Edition of Nutrition: An Applied Approach, presents introductory nutrition information to non-majors in an applied format that discourages memorization and promotes long-term understanding of the material. The authors capitalize on students’ natural interest in nutrition by demonstrating how it relates to their health and their everyday lives, and by addressing- and debunking- commonly held misconceptions students have. The applied nature of the book is also reflected in the functional organization of the micronutrient chapters. This approach encourages students to develop a conceptual framework in which to organize the information and helps them understand the role of nutrients in their bodies and their own health. The book’s applied approach is enhanced in the Second Edition with the inclusion of in-depth six to eight page sections that cover important topics. These sections–Alcohol, Vitamins & Minerals Overview, Phytochemicals & Functional Foods, and Global Nutrition–were chosen because reviewers highly-desired the addition of this content. The In-Depth section covering vitamins and minerals is presented with a unique design and maintain the functional approach of the book while still presenting a traditional micronutrient overview for students. A new Find the Quack feature, a bright new design, and updated art also give the Second Edition a pedagogical boost.
Three new Instructor Supplements complement an already robust media package. The Teaching Tool Box, Media Manager, and Animations have all been created to enhance the teaching experience and save time. The Teaching Toolbox gathers critical teaching tools into one easy-access location for instructors, while the Media Manager groups helpful presentation tools together for easier lecturing.
1. The Role of Nutrition in Our Health
2. Designing a Healthful Diet
3. The Human Body: Are We Really What We Eat?
4. Carbohydrates: Plant-Derived Energy Nutrients
In Depth: Alcohol
5. Fat: An Essential Energy-Supplying Nutrient
6. Proteins: Crucial Components of All Body Tissues
In Depth: Vitamins and Minerals: Micronutrients with Macro Powers
7. Nutrients Involved in Fluid and Electrolyte Balance
8. Nutrients Involved in Antioxidant Function
In Depth: Phytochemicals and Functional Foods
9. Nutrients Involved in Bone Health
10. Nutrients Involved in Energy Metabolism and Blood Health
11. Achieving and Maintaining a Healthful Body Weight
12. Nutrition and Physical Activity: Keys to Good Health
13. Disordered Eating
14. Food Safety: Impact on Consumers
15. Nutrition Through the Lifecycle: Pregnancy and the First Year of Life
16. Nutrition Through the Lifecycle: Childhood to Late Adulthood
In Depth: Global Nutrition
Appendices: Nutrient Values of Foods; Conversions and Calculations, Caffeine Content of Foods; U.S. Exchange Lists; Stature-for-Age Charts; Organizations and Resources
Answers to EOC Questions