For courses in Animal Biology, Animal Management, Veterinary Technology, and Animal Science.
This comprehensive, up-to-date text serves as a useful reference devoted to companion animals. It provides principles and time-tested practical information for students preparing for careers related to the health and quality of life of—all creatures great and small—with special emphasis on companion animals.
Table of Contents
1. Companion Animals.
2. Companion Animal Industry.
3. Dog/Cat Breeds and Their Characteristics.
4. Choosing a Dog or Cat.
5. Companion Birds.
6. Companion Reptiles and Amphibians.
7. Companion Rodents, Ferrets, and Lagomorphs.
8. Medical Records and Case Histories.
9. Feeding and Nutrition.
10. Reproductive Biology of Dogs and Cats.
11. Anatomy and Physiology of Cats and Dogs.
12. Care, Management, and Training of Dogs and Cats.
13. Fitting, Grooming, and Showing.
14. Companion Animal Health.
15. Parasites and Pests of Companion Animals.
16. Common Diagnostic and Therapeutic Procedures and Terms.
17. Pet Sitting, Pet Motels, and Other Boarding Arrangements.
18. Kennel/Cattery Design and Management.
19. Business/Financial Aspects of the Companion Animal Enterprise.
20. Companion Animal Behavior and Social Structure.
21. Therapeutic and Service Uses of Companion Animals.
22. Animals in Biomedical Research.
23. Career Opportunities Associated with Companion Animals.
24. Managing Unwanted Companion Animals.
25. Trends/Future of Companion Animals and Related Functions.